Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why does the mother squirrel casterate all of her newborn male babies but ONE.?

Wow, this is a new twist on an old urban legend! The usual way the story is told is that male squirrels will castrate each other while fighting. Either way, squirrels do not castrate each other. I've worked as a wildlife rehabilitator for many years, and I have raised dozens if not hundreds of litters of baby squirrels. I have never seen a baby male squirrel castrated by its mother. I think where this story may come from is that when they are very young, baby squirrels need to be stimulated to urinate. (I assume this helps keep them from going just anywhere all over their nest, mucking it up.) Squirrel mothers stimulate their babies to urinate by licking them just above their genitalia, where their bladders are. Maybe someone saw this once, misinterpreted it, and started spreading this story. But I assure you, it isn't true!Why does the mother squirrel casterate all of her newborn male babies but ONE.?
Natural Selection. She only wants the strongest one to reproduce.Why does the mother squirrel casterate all of her newborn male babies but ONE.?
She's HUNGRY!!
Maybe in captivity they don't do it but maybe out in nature they do....what ever the reason, it's weird. Good question.....you should write to the myth buster guys...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hunt grays in the wild of Alabama and I have seen many, many Male squirrels without any testicles.

Post a Comment